Thursday, September 04, 2008

Kinks' Ray Davies comes out with "Come Dancing..."

“I broke up with my first girlfriend on that bench,” Ray Davies says as we sit in a leafy Highgate square. “No, she broke up with me”. Davies, now almost unbelievably 64, is once more living close to where he was brought up in North London. He tells me that he is still “just a regular bloke” and “a bit of a square, really”. In which case the former Kinks leader must be the most irregular, non-conformist square in town.

He is writing and appearing in a new musical, Come Dancing, at the Theatre Royal Stratford East. While the title comes from the Kinks' 1982 single, the show features 20 or so new songs. “Stratford East have got a lot of bottle to put this on. I'm just a regular bloke and this is a regular show for regular people. I went to see Rent in New York, I didn't get as far as the foyer. Didn't like the audience.” More...

See also:

No comments:

Post a Comment