Wednesday, May 14, 2008

The swastika that's offending the neighbours...



A World War Two veteran captured by Germans and held prisoner for three years is reminded of his torment every time he looks out the window of his house.

The Mt Roskill man’s neighbours have painted a large white symbol – resembling a swastika – on their roof.

He says the symbol, painted late last year, is distasteful.

"If I could get rid of it I would," says the man, who didn’t want to be named.

"It’s not necessary, it’s actually stupid. It’s insulting to the neighbours."

But Ambrish Gupta says when he painted the symbol, he didn’t mean to offend anyone.

He simply did it as a sign of his religious devotion.

In the Hindu religion, the swastika is the symbol of the god Ganesha, who is acknowledged at the beginning of prayers.

Mr Gupta painted it on his roof as a symbol of protection for his family and house. More...

See also: The Russian Neo-Nazi movement...

2 comments:

  1. I am a New Zealander. My Pop (Grandad)spent the years 1939-1945 in a Concentration Camp.
    My other Grandad fought in WW2.
    Both of my Grandfathers were affected by the evil that happned and that has had implications even on my generation.

    However, Pop used to say that the Nazis and WW2 were evil and no amount of talking about it or analysing it or studying it will change it. It has been done and now we need to move on and look at how to better ourselves and our lives.

    I spent two years in Korea where I saw the symbol everywhere, rather than invoke negative feelings like it used too, it gave me a sense of the positive ideals and beauty it stood for.

    If are giving the evil power if you take offense to this. See this for what it is and stop giving the Nazis anymore power.

    ReplyDelete