Thursday, April 17, 2008

Poverty and baby brides: this is terribly sad.


In northern Afghanistan it appears some parents are being driven by poverty and hunger to marry off their daughters at an early age. Jenny Cuffe investigates for Radio 4's Seven Days.
In Wandian's market place, farmers complain they have little to sell

Farida (not her real name) was paid 40,000 Afghani (£400) last summer for marrying her 13-year-old daughter to her father's 20-year-old cousin.

The child, her freckled face half hidden behind a blue veil, says she does not like her husband, and begins to cry.

"I didn't want to marry, it was my parents' decision," she said. "I dreamed I would be able to finish my education. I had no choice."

Asked why she is making her daughter unhappy, Farida replies simply: "It is her life, it is her fate." More...

See also: She is 8 ... and she wants a divorce! A very brave girl!
And this: I'm 14, a virgin and I'm for sale: do you want to buy me?

No comments:

Post a Comment