Thursday, April 17, 2008

I'm a bitter man, and here's why...

I am a bitter man. I admit it. I'm neither proud or happy about it. But it's not my fault, either.

Eight years ago I was annoyed, but I wasn't bitter. Being annoyed with government is the natural state of the governed. It's the catalyst that keeps politicians paranoid about what we're up to out here while they, hopefully, try to do enough things right to get our vote next time around, even if resentfully.

But bitter is a different kind of catalyst. It's the emotion that freed these former colonies from Britain. It's the emotion that motivated American blacks to come together in the 1960s and demand an end to segregation, once and for all. At the turn of the century in Russia bitterness caused the Russian people to put an end to careless, self-indulgent, wasteful monarchy. Before that, in France, bitterness among the peasantry caused a whole lot folks to loose their heads -- literally.
More...

See also: The Real Meaning of 4,000 Dead
And this: The Iraq Quagmire:will it ever end?

No comments:

Post a Comment