Wednesday, November 09, 2011

Facebook has stolen my soul...

I’m trying to cut down on Facebook. But it’s impossible. First, I rely on Facebook for my entire social life. Second, I visit the website up to 40 times a day, checking it in the same compulsive way I used to smoke. Third, I can’t work out how to leave. Facebook’s settings are beyond baffling. This weekend I tried to shut down my wall, and despite an hour of shouting and pleading, got absolutely nowhere.

A wall is the place on your Facebook profile that records everything you have done. Things like the new friends you have made, the events you have gone to and the photos you have been tagged in. These days it also records which articles you have read and what music you are listening to. It is a log book for your digital life.

I have never really been comfortable with the idea – in the same way that I have never really been comfortable with photocopying my diary and handing it out to strangers on the tube. Recently the wall got upgraded to a “timeline”, where Facebook founder Mark Zuckerberg hopes we will share all the most important moments from our lives. Full story...

Don't miss:
  1. Facebook accused of tracking users ... even after account is cancelled.
  2. Black dude furious with New Facebook...
  3. Facebook witch-hunt for London rioters...
  4. 14 new ways Big Brother govt is watching you...
  5. Anything you've EVER said on the internet could be used against you...

No comments:

Post a Comment