Devotedly washed and sprinkled with rose petals, Hamza Ali al-Khateeb lies prepared for burial.
But the rituals of death cannot wipe away the horrific injuries that have mutilated his body almost beyond recognition.
Nor do they blot out that Hamza - riddled with bullets, kneecapped and with neck broken and penis hacked off - has the rounded cheeks and gentle face of a child.
At 13, he is one of the youngest known victims of Syria's ruthless crackdown on protesters who have tried to overthrow the government of President Bashar al-Assad.
The teenager's family were told not to speak of his terrible fate. But in a pitiful act of defiance, they posted the footage of his corpse online. More...
Watch the video (Graphic)
- This is what's happening in Syria (WARNING. Extremely graphic)
- 8000 people missing or in detention in Syria...
- 'In Syria we have been scared all our lives. Now at least we have hope, too"
- Syria: Assad's regime of torture...
- The State continues to kill in Syria... (Graphic)
- Syrian troops 'have killed more than 1,000 civilians in brutal crackdown