Thursday, March 31, 2011

A non-Muslim white girl puts on a hijab and walks into a mall...

(...)

When I stepped into that mall, I realized just how different this particular outing was going to be from others I’ve had in the past. The first store I walked into was Best Buy, but I visited every store in the mall at least once. No sooner did I step into Best Buy, I noticed how different things were. First of all, the person at the door didn’t greet me like he did to other customers entering the store. I didn’t think nothing of it at first, and instead I went over to look at the CDs and DVDs in the store. Usually when a customer is browsing the store, one of the employees will approach them and ask if they need any help finding something. This didn’t happen once, not even when I made direct eye contact with an employee whom I went to school with. She didn’t recognize me. I can’t blame her for it, since my long hair was covered up, but I couldn’t help but feel that all she saw was my hijab and not me, let alone a customer.

The salespeople at the mall were pretty much the same. There were only a select few who actually said more than one word to me. The employees would not welcome me into their stores. They wouldn’t ask if I needed help. They wouldn’t ask if I wanted to try on an outfit, even when I was holding it in my hands. They never said “We hope to see you again!” or “Have a nice day,” when I left the store. Judging by this consistent reaction from salesperson to salesperson, I couldn’t help but feel that they were glad to be rid of me and most definitely didn’t hope to see me again. To make matters uncomfortably worse, in every store I went into, I noticed that the same security guard was there. From Spencer’s to Borders, this security guard wasn’t making it a secret that he was following me everywhere I went. Full story...

Don't miss:
  1. How Muslims are treated in America...
  2. Reel Bad Arabs: how Hollywood propaganda vilifies an entire people...
  3. Miss USA 2010 is an Arab American...
  4. Bahrain woman operates only sex-shop in Persian Gulf...
  5. Pakistani girls flee Islam and seek asylum in Sri Lanka...
  6. Gender Jihad: women in Saudi Arabia... 

No comments:

Post a Comment