Thursday, January 29, 2009

The anguish of being illiterate: one woman's story...

Sue Torr stood at the altar, about to be married to a man she adored, shaking with fear. But these were no simple wedding day nerves. Eighteen-year-old Sue was hiding a secret from her husband- to-be, her family and guests - she had never been able to read or write.

"I was terrified of writing my full name on the register. I was so illiterate I couldn't even spell my middle name, Carol," she admits. "I'd copied it on to the palm of my hand and throughout the service I was praying I'd be able to glance at it without anyone noticing.

"I got away with it but it ruined what should have been the happiest day of my life."

Incredibly, Sue hid her illiteracy for another 20 years.

 The lies and cover-ups caused her enormous anguish. It affected her health, her relationships with her husband and her three children. More...
See also:
  1. The Ethiopian who is bringing books to Ethiopian kids!
  2. Ethiopia: children learning to read ... from the Donkey Mobile Library!!!
  3. A list of 100 must-read books...
  4. Why are we reading less? Is it because books are expensive?

No comments:

Post a Comment